Habit 17 is one of the most satisfying and most difficult, but it’s also critical. I want you to cook at least one meal from healthy ingredients. That means that you should be able to point to the ingredients and clearly identify them. Out with the processed, preserved, and chemical-laden. Every person should be able to cook a simple meal. If you can’t, I suggest that you pick up a copy of Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything” and start cooking his “essential” recipes. The meal that you cook each day can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner (or all of the above), but it must be good for you. Choose fruit over brownie mix and sauteed mushrooms over cheese puffs. You don’t need to slave for hours, just create a meal that’s yummy but not made of the unhealthy stuff.
I want you to eat well. Food, when done right, is one of the most consistent pleasures we have in life. It’s also a gateway to a healthy, well-functioning body; food is our fuel and it propels us through our lives. When you go shopping, buy foods that contain one ingredient, such as: chicken, zucchini, orange juice, and brown rice. Know what you put in your body.
Cook for yourself on a daily basis and you’ll save money and pave the way toward a healthier you. Just do it.
Points! How well did you score today? Give yourself 1 point for each task that you accomplished. Then post your score in the comments. I’ll do the same.
1. Apply chap stick.
2. Drink a big glass of water.
3. Sit and stand with excellent posture.
4. Exercise for thirty minutes.
5. Clean your nails thoroughly.
6. Dress in clothes that fit you perfectly.
7. Apply lotion to your feet and hands at bedtime.
8. Wear one piece of pretty jewelry.
9. Wear a dab or a spritz of perfume.
10. Stretch gently for five minutes at bedtime.
11. Floss and thoroughly brush your teeth twice a day.
12. Smile at everyone.
13. Refuse to say anything bad about anyone, including yourself.
14. Remove profanity from your speech.
15. Go to bed in time to get eight hours of sleep.
16. Wear a signature piece.
17. Cook at least one meal with healthy ingredients.
Hey, are you new here? Head back to Primer One and start at the beginning. We’re building up habits day-by-day; start by putting on chap stick!
– Miss Fitzgerald