Cosmetics. Whoa. Most of us wear either no makeup or far too much makeup. The truth is that cosmetics function as a mask; they hide what we don’t like and brighten what we do like. Cosmetics don’t make us beautiful. Physical beauty comes more from personal fitness and wellness than it does from makeup. It’s better to have clear skin, excellent posture, and a healthy body than it is to have a $100 lipstick. That’s why I’ve been asking you to apply chap stick, to sit and stand with excellent posture, to clean your nails, to exercise, to wear perfume, to stretch, the take good care of your teeth, and to smile… and, and, and.
Beauty stems from good health and good will, in other words. I want you to wear only a tiny amount of makeup. In Primer Twenty Eight, I’ll be telling you about the makeup routine that I sincerely hope that you’ll adopt. For now, I want to talk to you about mascara. I think that mascara well applied will always be of help to your appearance. So, I want you to put on mascara every morning. I want you to put on two coats of mascara, preferably black mascara.
Do you know how to put on mascara? Here’s how I do it:
1. When you pull the wand out of the pot, scrape it free of excess mascara goo.
2. Place the mascara wand at the base of your eye lashes and roll it upward until you reach the very tips of your lashes.
3. Most of us miss the very tips of our lashes, so gently swish the wand from side to side when you reach the tips to make sure that your eyelashes are coated up their entire length. You want to make sure that your full length is appreciated!
4. Wait a moment for the first coat to dry and then apply a second coat.
I don’t apply mascara to my bottom lashes. Ever.
This leads me to habit 27: Put mascara on your top lashes only; two coats!
Notice that we’re adding to your morning routine here.
Hey, how well did you score? Give yourself 1 point for each task that you accomplished. Then post your score in the comments; I’ll do the same. Ooh! Are you new here? Go to Primer One and start at the beginning.
1. Apply chap stick.
2. Drink a big glass of water.
3. Sit and stand with excellent posture.
4. Exercise for thirty minutes.
5. Clean your nails thoroughly.
6. Dress in clothes that fit you perfectly.
7. Apply lotion to your feet and hands at bedtime.
8. Wear one piece of pretty jewelry.
9. Wear a dab or a spritz of perfume.
10. Stretch gently for five minutes at bedtime.
11. Floss and thoroughly brush your teeth twice a day.
12. Smile at everyone.
13. Refuse to say anything bad about anyone, including yourself.
14. Remove profanity from your speech.
15. Go to bed in time to get eight hours of sleep.
16. Wear a signature piece.
17. Cook at least one meal with healthy ingredients.
18. Don’t criticize anyone.
19. Look your conversation partners in the eye.
20. Pronounce every syllable when you speak.
21. Read the headlines.
22. Make your bed.
23. Only wear shoes that are in excellent condition and that fit you well.
24. Give your conversation partner your full attention.
25. Pay someone a sincere compliment.
26. Only wear clothes that are appropriate for the weather.
27. Put mascara on your top lashes only; two coats!
– Miss Fitzgerald